October 25, 2011
Jeff G forwarded an amusing message about this; googling turned up a longer version at Monty Pelerin's World. These are the first 5 of his list of 182.
One of the more popular posts I put up was on paraprosdokians. For those who don't know, a parprosdokian is a sentence which consists of two parts. The first is a figure of speech and the second an intriguing variation of the first. One definition that works is the following:
Paraprosdokian is a figure of speech, which little known by the general public, but is well understood by satirsts. The key feature is that the final words make the listener reinterpret the first part of the sentence.
Additional paraprosdokians and near-paraprosdokians can be found at the above definition link.
Paraprosdokians are used typically for humorous or dramatic effect. Here is a list, some of which might have been included in the original post. I don't have attribution for many.
- I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
- Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
- I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
- The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.
Posted by joke du jour at October 25, 2011 07:01 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry: